Undoubtedly, spam is one of the biggest and most annoying problems of webmasters everywhere.
Spammers usually send millions of unsolicited emails to get free advertisement with minimal effort or post messages on a guestbook or forum to exploit the electronic messaging system until the whole network is inundated with spam-related garbage.
Spam blocking as IT Security protection
This matter becomes a lot more complicated whenever spammers start employing an automated spam robot or program to further bring a targeted site down.
Thankfully, the IT security community has responded to the challenge of combating spam and has developed quality spam blocker technologies that most any site administrator can use to protect the integrity of his webpage.
Captcha Image Verification Spam Blocker
This spam blocking innovation is a very effective method when it comes to impeding spam produced by automated software or robots.
- The image verification approach is a technique that displays an image of a text string over the submission form in order to confirm if the poster is human or not.
- Before anyone can publish anything on a given forum or server, they'll first have to type in the number and letters they see on the given image in order to pass through that process.
Question and Answer Spam Blocker
This approach displays random but simple questions over the submission form.
- In order for the user to submit his intended post, message, correspondence, announcement, or whatnot, he has to first type the correct answer to move on ahead with the procedure.
- Questions like "What is the color of blood?" or "Is fire hot or cold?" are typically used in this method.
- The upsides of this spam blocker type include user-friendliness and intuitiveness, while the downsides include less protection when compared to the captcha technique.
Email Filter and IP Ban Spam Blocker
When in doubt, ban the IP. Also, the above methods aren't very applicable to the email front, so the spam filter remains the best method to use when it comes to blocking email-based spam.
- At any rate, IP blocking and spam filtering are the types of spam blocker that give an extra level of protection to your forum or email inbox without alienating the people who post or send legitimate messages to you or your company.
- Whether you want to ban individual IPs or impose a country-wide ban on, say, China or Russia, it's all possible with an IP ban spam blocker.
- If you want a case-to-case basis filtering, then the spam or email filter is your best bet.
Whichever method you elect to use, the ultimate objective of any and all such approaches is to offer your website or mail server a higher degree of security against automated spam robots or enterprising human spammers without annoying the people who send valid communication to your site or network.