Primary Rules of Internet Security:
Whenever we go online, our primary concern is to protect the information that we share or exchange. However, the probability of personal information getting exposed is highly likely on cyber arena. Our data can be leaked and exploited in a variety of ways. This is why, the significance of implementing internet security must be realized and salient procedures should be practiced.
Some common threats Users face on the Internet:
Computer viruses are probably the most common and well-known threats related to internet security. A virus is basically a self-replicating program which can infect a device and can make undesirable changes to the entire system. Some viruses are so strong that the operating system becomes completely useless. Less harmful viruses also are very devastating because these can delete the entire data present on the device. Therefore, it can be stated that there are a multitude of viruses with different degrees of severity.
Another type of malicious software is Spyware. Spyware can be of different types such as some track and monitor internet usage for marketing purpose. Most dangerous spyware are those that include key loggers and record/transmit almost everything typed by a user. For hackers this information is important because they can access user accounts and conduct theft or fraud by perpetrating the identity.
The following protocols will allow the users to ensure thorough internet security.
• Firewall – Firewalls can help you keep the network secure. These control and filter the incoming and outgoing traffic by checking the data packets. These act according to a predetermined set of rules. Firewall can be a hardware device or software and often these are already installed in the operating system of a computer. Moreover, various broadband routers also are equipped with rudimentary firewall capabilities by-default.
• Anti-virus and Anti-spyware Software –These are software which analyze the programs installed on your computer system. It is important that you run these programs frequently to scan your computer’s system for malware that may have been slipped through and are unidentified. Furthermore, you need to regularly update the software since newer viruses are identified frequently and the software is upgraded to thwart them.
• Disable script running without permission – Usually, web browsers let users to block scripting. Scripting is used by malicious or infected websites for installation of codes onto the computer. Disabling this feature will definitely prove helpful for ensuring internet security.
• Blocking third-party cookies – A lot of web browsers allow users to block cookies because these present a clear threat for the system. If you block cookies then you can surely avoid a lot of viruses. It must be noted that not all kinds of cookies are dangerous but few of them definitely are.
• Never open doubtful emails – It is very easy to embed viruses and spyware within an email. Usually, a mail is sent by the hacker which has been generated from an unidentified/unknown source. This email contains a link, which when the user clicks transfers the virus onto the computer. It is important to be aware of such phishing schemes because these tricks are used by hackers for infecting the system.
• Always keep strong passwords – Passwords should be strong and contain a combination of numbers, upper and lower case letters and special symbols. Easy to guess passwords like names should be avoided.
|➤ Related pages|
Powerful UTM Firewall, Vulnerability Scanner, WiFi Penetration Testing software
SecPoint is specialized to deliver the best IT security solutions and products.